Every Day Counts
Excellent attendance at school is important to allow a child or young person to fulfil their potential.
Below are just some of the key reasons why it is so important children attend school:
- To learn.
- To have fun.
- To make new friends.
- To experience new things in life.
- To develop awareness of other cultures, religion, ethnicity and gender differences.
- To achieve.
- To gain qualifications.
- To develop new skills.
- To build confidence and self-esteem.
- To have the best possible start in life.
Young people who regularly miss school without good reason are more likely to become isolated from their friends, to underachieve in examinations and/or become involved in anti-social behaviour.
HOW PARENTS CAN HELP
- Establish a good routine in the mornings and evenings so your child is prepared for the school day ahead.
- Make sure your child goes to school regularly and follows the school rules.
- Ensure your child arrives at school on time – not late.
- Arrange dental and medical appointments outside school hours when possible.
- Always inform the school if your child is absent due to illness.
- Take family holidays outside term time.
- Talk to your child about school and take an interest in their school work
- Praise and reward your child’s achievements at school.
- Discuss any problems or difficulties with the school – staff are there to help and will be supportive.
HOW SCHOOL MONITOR AND SUPPORT GOOD ATTENDANCE
A ‘Traffic Light System’ is used to identify Learners/Students whose attendance falls below target.
Legal Proceedings for Non-Attendance (Wigan local authority guidance)
How it works
- Wigan LA will write to a parent/carer warning that they may be fined if their child’s attendance does not improve in 15 days
- If there is no improvement a parent/carer will receive a £60 Penalty Notice Fine
- If this is not paid within 21 days, the fine increases to £120
- If this is not paid within 28 days Wigan LA can take a parent/carer to court under the Education Act.
There is no right of appeal against a notice, but a parent/carer can contact Wigan LA if they think the notice has been sent to the wrong person, or if they can prove the absence was due to illness.
For more information see the school Attendance for Learning Policy.